Thursday, 8 March 2012

How to start and end the thread ?


Hi !

Many of you have asked me how to start and end the thread. 
I thought it’ll be helpful for everyone if I post some images…
If you are working a stitch like satin stitch which covers the design then you can anchor your thread
anywhere in the middle and continue to stitch.But if it’s a line stitch then you have to think about the placement of anchor stitch. I’m going to show you two methods of starting and ending the thread while working double back stitch, since we have started our sal with it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
METHOD 1


                                   
Bring the needle and thread up between ‘a’ and ‘d’ leaving  an inch of thread at the back.

                                          
The above images shows the back side of the fabric where you can see the thread which was left at the beginning.

                                              
Work two tiny split stitches between ‘a’ and ‘d’ to anchor the thread ,go back down.

                                           
Bring the needle at ‘a’, go back down at ‘b’, come up at ’c’ and go back down at ‘b’,
come up at ‘d’  .

                                                                                          
Take the needle back down at ‘a’ and come up at ‘e’. Notice that the anchor stitches are covered by the stitch from ‘d’ to ‘a’.

                                
Continue working double back stitch holding the tail thread at the back. The image above is the back side.

                                          
To end the thread, whip it around few stitches to cover approximately an inch and cut the thread.

                                         
I’ve left a little tail to show y’all the starting and the ending thread. You’ll see only a little shadow on the right side of the fabric. Don’t worry about it, we can’t avoid that shadow since our fabric is transparent.


METHOD  2

If you are not comfortable working with a tail thread at the back then you can try this method.

                                           
Make a knot , take the needle down about an inch or two from the starting point. Come up between ‘a’ and ‘d’ as shown in method 1 and work two tiny split stitches there to anchor the thread and continue working double back stitch.

                                           
The image above shows the back side of the fabric where I’ve ended the thread just like I showed you in method 1.

     
Snip off the knot which we’d put at the beginning.                                      
                                                                                                                                                             
                                             
 Pass the tail thread through the stitches using a needle.The above image shows the back side of the fabric. 

It’s not necessary to follow only these methods to start and end the thread. You can follow any method which you are comfortable with. These are the methods which I prefer.
Please let me know whether the instructions are clear. If it’s not ,then tell me where do you think I should add more information…..
Thank you all for the suggestions and comments. Have a wonderful weekend.
Happy stitching! 
Anita.                                                                                                                                                                  

9 comments:

deanna7trees said...

clear and informative. thank you.

Suztats said...

yes, very clear. Thanks.

deanna7trees said...

i've started stitching and i love the way the herringbone back creates a shadow on the front.

Anita said...

Deanna-In my finished piece the shadow is not clear,isn't it? It was difficult to capture the shadow while keeping it flat.When I kept it vertically in a well-lit area the shadow was very clear but I couldn't take a photograph because my window frame,trees ,parked cars were there in the image-the cons of working on a transparent fabric.I've got to attend a photography class think...

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Anita, this was very helpful and clear to me also. Thank you. I am hoping though that each tear drop didn't need locked threads to be tied off and clipped? Mine continue from one drop to the next without locking threads in between.

Anita said...

Connie- There is no need to end the thread for each tear drop.I've mentioned this in the lesson 1 after the last image.Keep stitching as you are doing right now...

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

I knew you had said not to cut the threads between and just continue but then I got to worrying that I was supposed to be locking the threads and maybe cutting them later :-[ I'm relieved that is not the case since I have put a lot of time in. Thanks for replying! P.S. I wish my stitches looked as wonderful and even as yours!

Anita said...

Connie-I can understand,I'd spent more time unpicking rather than stitching double back stitch when I was learning this style of embroidery:).I'd practiced this stitch by filling many all-over patterns with double back stitch instead of working herringbone stitch which is quite easy...

Anonymous said...

very detailed instructions. Thank You Anita!

Prashanti