Tuesday, 6 March 2012

Lesson 1- Chikan embroidery sal


Hi!
Welcome to the world of Indian embroidery. 
Let’s start our Sal today…..
Each week I’ll be posting working instructions for 1 or 2 stitches. 
Today let us learn double back stitch which is one of the most important stitches in chikan embroidery.
To practice this stitch,trace design '4a' from the practice designs onto your doodle cloth, follow the instructions given below and stitch.

                                                                                                                                                 
Double back stitch


                                      
Step 1: Bring the needle & thread up at ‘a’.       

                                           
Step 2: Take the needle back down at ‘b’.

                                           
Step 3: Bring the needle up again at ‘c’.

                                          
Step 4: Take the needle back down at ‘b’.

                                           
Step 5: Bring the needle up again at ‘d’.

                                          
Step 6: Take the needle back down at ‘a’.

                                          
Step 7: Bring the needle up again at ‘e’.

                                          
Step 8: Take the needle back down at ‘c’.
                                         
                                           
Step 9: Bring the needle up again at 'f '.

                                          
Step 10: Take the needle back down at ‘d’.

                                           
Step 11: Bring the needle up again at ‘g’.

                                          
Step 12: Take the needle back down at ‘e’.

                                          
Continue in this manner till you complete the shape.

                                          
This stitch will look like closed herringbone stitch on the back side of the fabric.

Hope you’ve traced the actual design onto the fabric which you’ve prepared for your project. If not please trace it.
Complete the drop shapes which is marked as ‘A’ (refer your stitch guide) with double back stitch.Do not cut the working thread after you finish a drop shape,continue stitching the next drop shape...

NOTE: This stitch can be replaced by herringbone stitch if you are working an all over pattern. To work herringbone stitch trace the design on to the back side of the fabric and work the herringbone stitch on the back side , so that you’ll see only running stitches on the front side of the fabric.

Next week let’s work simple stitches, which covers very little area in the design so that you’ll have 2 weeks to complete lesson 1, O.K?
All the lessons will be posted under chikan embroidery label in this blog.                                                                       
If you have any doubt you know how to contact me now……
Happy stitching  
Anita       
                                                                                                                                                                                                           

26 comments:

veena krishnakumar said...

starting off right now Anita!!!!

letslearnembroidery said...

Thanks for the lesson, Anita.

letslearnembroidery said...

One question, Anita - do we have to separate the strands and join them back together for each stitch?

Jennifer Ghanem said...

This is beautiful and very clearly explained can't wait to begin today's lesson

Anita said...

Ina -It's always better to separate and then join the strands if we are using more than 1 strand.This will remove the twists and help us to get a smooth surface when we stitch.You can see the difference clearly when you work satin stitch with 2 strands...

Jennifer Ghanem said...

Anita I wanted to ask you do you tie a knot at the end of the floss when starting out?

Anita said...

@Jennifer-I prefer to start without a knot.Leave an inch of working thread at the back,anchor the thread at the starting point by working one or two small split stitches,continue stitching either hiding the starting tail while working or pass the tail through the stitches at the back while you end your stitch.

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Thanks Anita. I'm a little late getting started here. I hope you don't mind, but I used your image from the Feb 29 post to use on my sidebar, linking it back to your blog. Let me know if this is a problem and I will remove it promptly. I just thought others might be interested in reading about the class. How many are participating?

MosaicMagpie said...

Thank you for lesson 1. This is a new stitch for me.
Deb

Anita said...

Connie-It's ok since you've used the image to link back..I'll let y'all know the number of participants later because I'd like to know the number of participants who are stitching..I don't know whether all the participants who've registered will be active participants.But I hope so..

Hobby Sewer said...

Anita - Thanks for Lesson 1.I have already started working on it. Will post the pictures at my blog -www.hobbysewing.blogspot.com once I finish.

l'alternativa said...

Anita carissima, mi piacerebbe tanto partecipare al tuo sal, ma sono piena di lavoro, ti chiedo comunque, anche se sono in ritardo, se puoi mandarmi le istruzioni, magari proverò a farlo quest'estate, mi farebbe tanto piacere. Un abbraccio
Emi

shawkl said...

I've changed my mind twice on my fabric choice, and finally...I'm going to test each one to see what I like the best.

The double back stitch is called Shadow Applique for all the US folks. It is done a lot by folks who prepare Heirloom Embroidery clothing items.

Just a tidbit of info for ya'll...hugs!

Love the design and can't wait to get some thread on my fabrics!

Kathy

Anita said...

Hi Kathy!
Thanks for the info.

isseelan said...

Hi Anita,
Started lesson1. My sample piece is here.
http://shamiatcraft.blogspot.in/2012/03/chickankari-embroidery-sample.html
Have a look.

Shami Immanuel.

Anonymous said...

Hi Anita!

This was my stitching lesson ever and I enjoyed it so much! Looks like I was right, stitching IS really fun! Thank you!

Sultana

Anita said...

Hi Sultana!
Welcome.Yes,Stitching is really fun.I'm glad that you are enjoying it.

Raphaela said...

Hi Anita,
thank you so much for offering this online class. This kind of embroidery is miles away from my comfort zone but I enjoy the stiching very much. Okay, my stiches are not even but I definitely love the shadow effect they create.
Just in case you would like to have a look: http://textileexplorations.blogspot.com/2012/03/chikan-embroidery.html

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

I've completed lesson 1 and have posted it on my blog at http://ceoriginals.blogspot.com/2012/03/chikan-embroidery-lesson-1-completed.html

Any and all comments welcome...
Connie

RajiSaj said...

I hav completed lesson 1 , plz hav a look at Anitaji,
http://threadwithme.blogspot.in/2012/03/salchikan-embroidery.html
raji.

Suztats said...

I'm almost finished lesson 1, and I did a little experiment with a different fabric and several threads. I've enjoyed this.
http://suztats.blogspot.com/2012/03/chikan-embroidery.html

isseelan said...

Anita
I have completed lesson1. Have a look at the link below
http://shamiatcraft.blogspot.in/2012/03/chickan-embroidery-sal-lesson1.html

Give your valuable suggestions.

Shami Immanuel.

hron said...

Is this the same stitch as the traditional "shadow stitch"? Neat!!!

Anita said...

@ hron - Welcome! Yes,it is the same stitch as shadow stitch.Thank you.

Sunayana said...

Thanks a lot for chikan embroidery tutorial..I was searching for it ... have to start right now.. keep posting dear ... thanks again :)

Anonymous said...

This was a very informative lesson and explained very well. Thank you very much.