Friday 3 February 2012

Shisha stitch tutorial



             


Step 1 – Place the mirror on the fabric,draw the outline of the mirror and remove it.Work a circle of chain stitches outside the outline of the mirror.Bring the needle and thread inside the chain circle as shown in the image.




                                               




Step 2 – Work a circle of detached blanket stitches inside the chain stitch circle by picking up the inner loop of the chain 
Note:Do not pierce the fabric while working blanket stitches.

                                       




Step 3 – Whip through the threads between the blanket stitches.

Note: Make sure that you don't pull the threads while doing the whip stitch


                                                                           
                                       





A close up image to show how to whip the thread between two blanket stitches.






                                           





Step 4 – Place the mirror inside the circle.








                                           



Step 5 – Pull the working thread little tightly so that the detached blanket stitches cover the edge of the mirror.









Step 6 – Press the mirror and the pulled thread with your thumb so that the thread doesn't go back to the original position and make a knot by passing the through the first detached blanket stitch made,pull the needle to form a small loop, pass the needle through the loop and pull it tightly. 

                       






A knot is made.
                                           




Go down at the closest point to the knot,whip through few stitches at the back and fasten off the thread.








If you have any questions please do leave a comment or e-mail me.
Happy stitching!
Anita

14 comments:

Zova couture said...

A very well explained tutorial!!thanks dear..

letslearnembroidery said...

I love this method.Anita, there's a comment on my blog which is meant for you-Ina

alajnabiya said...

This looks much nicer than the way I was taught. I can't wait to try it.

Unknown said...

I'm happy to have found you, I never knew how do do the sisha mirrors embroidery. Thank you for sharing your expertise.

crazyQstitcher said...

Thanks for sharing another well written tutorial Anita. This is different to the way I learned and looks so much easier and neater.
I will try it out.

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

I will have to learn this technique. Your instructions look really clear. You have such a gift. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I hope I can pay it forward some day.

Shami Immanuel said...

Anita
Easy to follow your tutorials
I have tried this and my trial was in my blog.
Www.shamiatcraft.blogspot.com

Shami.

Shami Immanuel said...

Hi Anita,
here is my trial of mirror work learned from u. I have outline it with basque stitch and then with fly stitch. Have a look .
http://www.shamiatcraft.blogspot.in/2012/06/mirror-work-outlined-with-basque-stitch.html

Shami Immanuel.

Shami Immanuel said...

Anita
Thanks for your comment on my blog. Yes, I have used this work in one of my chudithar. I have posted it in my blog and it is here:
http://www.shamiatcraft.blogspot.in/2012/06/herringbone-stitch-chudithar-project.html

Shami Immanuel.

Mahalakshmi said...

Thank you Anita for the lovely tutorial.Leela reffered me about this morror work and thank you Leela for referring the same.
I immediately tried it and it is not as neat as yours.Anyway wil try again and post it soon.

Anita said...

You are welcome Mahalakshmi.Looking forward to see your attempts.

Vasudha Somayaji said...

Thanks Anita for your tutorial. I always wondered how they do it, myself did lot of trial and error, but the mirror always falling in the end. -:) But now I know how..

Anita said...

You are welcome Vasudha.

Stitching Lady said...

Happy to have found your blog - through Deanna - your tutorial is very good. Thank you. I will follow your blog.